Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Snippets: Self Love


"Snippets" are excerpts of my writings. I will not be sharing complete works on this blog, other than via links to where they are published online.

This was an essay I wrote some time back about the moment I learned to love myself.  To give some background, I was in junior high, and my friend and I were both bullied pretty badly.  One day, I had had enough...

**


Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

Sandy started to say something, and that's when Tammi drew back her tree trunk of an arm and punched her dead in the face. The next few seconds hung in the air, as if no one knew how to respond. Sandy went to the teacher and was excused to go to the nurse's office. I don't recall whether Tammi faced any consequences right then. I sat out the rest of the class, because frankly, I was afraid I would be next. Tammi had never been physical before!

Something inside me shifted that day, as I sat on the sidelines while my classmates finished out the period. This was bullshit! Nobody has any right to treat another human being with anything less than the respect they deserve. People shouldn't be putting their hands on each other, especially for such minor mistakes as uttering a cuss word. I was sick of being bullied, and I was sick of Sandy being bullied. I was going to do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Still Here!

A farm near our home. The above photo was taken last Friday, when my fiance and I went to do some volunteering. The site is beau...